Subject: Re: pkgsrc locking is still broken!
To: None <>
From: Loic Hoguin <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/11/2007 20:11:42
On Fri, 11 May 2007 11:21:47 +0200, Raymond Meyer
<> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 May 2007 10:40:41 +0200
> Roland Illig <> wrote:
>> $ cd pkgsrc/x11/gtk2
>> $ make help topic=locking
>> $ make help topic=wrkdir_locktype
>> (The recommended setting for WRKDIR_LOCKTYPE is "once", not "sleep".)
>> Roland
> I set PKGSRC_LOCKTYPE=sleep because I don't want one of the processes to
> exit.
> If multiple processes try to build the same package, they will acquire a
> lock
> and sleep until the package has been built, then they should continue
> building
> any dependant packages. Well that's the theory.

That's what I said about one or two month ago, but I was pointed to other
ways to use my processing power to its limit without having to build two
packages in the same time (with MAKE_JOBS>1 and a list of package to build
processed by a for loop).

In any case, I think this option should be fixed or removed, because more
people will encounter these problems eventually.

Loc Hoguin