Subject: Re: mksandbox
To: Steven M. Bellovin <>
From: Alexander Nasonov <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/23/2007 10:46:14
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> mksandbox is using chroot, so /usr/bin/ftp isn't visible.

I was able to setup chroot on FreeBSD 6.2, see attached patch.

/usr/bin/ftp is available:

(inside chroot)
# file /usr/bin/ftp
/usr/bin/ftp: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

(outside chroot)
%df -h /home/pkg/sandbox/FreeBSD/usr/bin/ftp
Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/usr/bin       13G    2.8G    8.8G    24%    /home/pkg/sandbox/FreeBSD/usr/bin

I ran sh mk/bulk/build as recommended but it couldn't run without
1. /usr/pkg/bin/bmake
2. /usr/pkg/share/mk/*
3. probably other files such as /usr/pkg/bin/{ftp,pax,tar}
   and /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_{add,admin,create,delete,info}
   but I never checked that. I've just copied them as well.
4. ldconfig /lib /usr/lib; otherwise a configuration of perl5 breaks.

It's now compiling perl5.

> You may want to try pkg_comp instead; it's designed for precisely this
> purpose.
I wish I could use but it seems to work only on NetBSD.
Alexander Nasonov

If men can develop weapons that are so terrifying as to make the
thought of global war include almost a sentence for suicide, you
would think that man`s intelligence and his comprehension... would
include also his ability to find a peaceful solution. -- Dwight
Eisenhower --

This quote is generated by:
	/usr/pkg/bin/curl -L         \
	  | sed -e 's/^document\.write(.//' -e 's/.);$/ --/'  \
	        -e 's/<[^>]*>//g' -e 's/^More quotes from //' \