Subject: Re: graphics/xv fails to build on macppc
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Loic Hoguin <essen@dev-extend.eu>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 03/24/2007 13:03:32
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:40:04 +0100, Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 05:51:28PM +0100, Loic Hoguin wrote:
>> I tried to build graphics/xv ...
>
> I would recomment not to use this unmaintained and insecure program.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

Shouldn't it be removed if that's the case?

> "graphics/gqview" or "graphics/imagemagick" provide much better
> alternatives.

I don't see any "graphics/imagemagick" package. But "graphics/gqview"
will do, although I'll probably use the gtk1 version (depends on the
speed of the gtk2 one).

>> ... today on my iBook running Netbsd/macppc
>> current (4.99.16) and it fails with the following error:
> [...]
>> xvpcd.c:(.text+0xce8): undefined reference to `alloca'
>
> NetBSD-macppc doesn't seem to support alloca(). You could submit a
> problem report (category "port-macppc") about that. But considering
> that it is broken API it would probably better to patch "xv" not
> use it alloca() (or not use "xv" at all :-).

Okie. If it's broken by design it won't do any good to implement it.
I'll try to patch it (mainly to learn about the process) but if it's
really unmaintened and insecure I think it shouldn't be in pkgsrc.

Regards,

--
Loïc Hoguin
Dev:Extend