Subject: Re: hal in pkgsrc?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 03/23/2007 07:56:12
HAL (or something like it) will eventually be required for desktop
environments such as GNOME.
Well, one could make the argument that it already is required, but I'm
such an "advanced" user that I don't mind mounting drives myself by
typing a command. ;)

I'm much more interested in hotplugging for NetBSD, which is, of
course, the major thing needed for HAL to work.  It also allows for
genuinely useful things, e.g. providing a way for userland
applications to detect audio hardware (pulseaudio uses it).

I'd be happy to do some of the grunt work involved.

--Blair

--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11