Subject: Re: devel/glib2 fails on Linux with "syntax error in VERSION script"
To: Alan Barrett <>
From: Roland Illig <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 03/19/2007 14:23:36
Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>>>/bin/sh is a symlink to dash, and that shell is not POSIX-compliant. In
>>>"echo '\400'" echoes an @ character.
> POSIX allows that:  "If the first operand is -n, or if any of the
> operands contain a backslash ('\') character, the results are
> implementation-defined."
> It's better to avoid using echo(1).  Use printf(1) with the "%s\n" format.

Sorry for propagating that urban legend about echo(1). ;)

I have sometimes thought about creating a very nasty operating system
(or just a POSIX environment) in which everything is implemented as
badly as possible, deviating from all expectations. And then, we could
port pkgsrc to it and be proud. :)