Subject: Re: How to use binary packages on secondary systems?
To: The masked-coder known as Randux <randux@Safe-mail.net>
From: Adrian Portelli <adrianp@stindustries.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 02/28/2007 16:27:40
The masked-coder known as Randux wrote:
> Hi guys,
> So here's my enquiry in a nutshell: what is the proper way to use binary packages built on one system, on another system? (Both are x86. Hope to be running the macppc port soon also)
>
> Thanks,
> Rand

Hi,

I personally use a mix to distribute binary packages.

1) Setup NFS server with an exported ${PACKAGES}.  Clients mount the NFS
export on boot.

2) Setup and FTP server and put your ${PACKAGES} directory under it and
then set ${PKG_PATH} on your clients to use the appropriate path.

See pkg_add(1) if you need some further information on this or the
pkgsrc doco.  I don't think there's a single 'right' way to do it, just
whatever suits your needs best.

HTH,

adrian.