Subject: Re: make package
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 02/17/2007 20:43:30
    Date:        Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:23:26 -0600 (CST)
    From:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>

  | On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
  |
  | > When I want to build a binary package that has a lot of dependencies, is
  | > there anything special I need to do in order to also make packages of
  | > those missing dependencies that are built in the process?  Is it
  | > possible?
  |
  | "make package" should do that automatically.

Really?

You mean if I have no binary packages at all, but lots of packages
installed, and I go to some new package and do

	make package

you're guaranteeing that when that finishes my binary package
directory will have binary packages for everything needed?

I've never seen that work - generally if a dependency is already
installed, pkgsrc leaves it alone, and won't go and (attempt to)
construct a binary package out of it, just because it is now
building a binary package, and there isn't one for the dependency.

To answer the original question, install pkgtools/pkg_comp, start
with a new empty sandbox (pkg_comp makeroot), make sure your
pkg_comp config file has "BUILD_TARGET=package" (and probably
AUTO_TARGET=package as well) in it, then build the package that
you want - that way, all  the dependencies must get rebuilt
as none of them exist in the sandbox (that is, any that you don't
already have the binary packages for).

kre