Subject: Re: xmlsec1 --with-nss
To: None <>
From: Johannes Hofmann <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 02/07/2007 20:41:29
Hello Klaus,

thanks for looking into this!

Klaus Heinz wrote:

> As the xmlsec1 software can use several security libraries I think 
> it might be a good idea to split this package:
>         xmlsec1 (or xmlsec1-openssl)
>         xmlsec1-nss
>         xmlsec1-gnutls (not needed so far)

sounds like a good idea to me.

> After looking a little at this package and security/nss I have some
> questions:
> - The pkgsrc packages nss and nspr put their files in subdirectories,
>   ie /usr/pkg/include/nspr/ instead of /usr/pkg/include/. Additionally,
>   nss puts its header files in /usr/pkg/include/nss/nss/ and
>   /usr/pkg/include/nss/dbm/.
>   While it would it is possible to teach the configure script of xmlsec1
>   about the subdirectories for header files and libraries, the fact that
>   nss uses nss/nss complicates things.
>   Some research showed that neither Debian nor SuSE/Redhat use such a
>   directory scheme and I would like to know why pkgsrc does. The Linux
>   distributions do not have a "dbm" directory in their libnss-dev(el)
>   packages.
> - Correct usage of pkg-config for nss and nspr in xmlsec1's configure
>   script would simplify the configuration but then
>   "pkg-config --cflags nss" tells me
>     -I/usr/pkg/include/nss
>   and I think this is not correct because the nss header files live in
>   /usr/pkg/include/nss/nss.
>   We should either put the correct value into nss.pc or move the header
>   file from /usr/pkg/include/nss/nss/ to /usr/pkg/include/nss/.

I noticed that and worked around this problem by patching the
source to look for the header files in the right subdirectories.

> I have put a first version of xmlsec1-openssl and xmlsec1-nss at
> The two packages are not complete and especially the patches to use nss
> (I added --with-nss-includes and --with-nss-libs) are only preliminary.

Ah, that's probabely the way to go.

> Unfortunately the biggest problem is: xmlsec1-nss does not work.
> While xmlsec1-openssl completes the test suite (after adding GNU
> make to USE_TOOLS) xmlsec1-nss does not because the program xmlsec1
> receives SIGABRT for every test :-/.

Hm, the make check target produces quite a few cores here too, even
though I have updated to version 1.2.10 of xmlsec1.
However the main application (taxbird) for which I need xmlsec1
seems to work so far...

You can find my very hacky attempts for security/xmlsec1 and
finance/libgeier at