Subject: Re: Opera 9.10 starts but does not retrieve web pages
To: Alasdair <alasdair@iprimus.com.au>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 02/06/2007 14:32:41
On 06/02/07, Alasdair <alasdair@iprimus.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Opera 9.10. It installed sucessfully, however it starts with
> these error messages:
>
> ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
>
> then opens ok, all menus etc work ok, but when trying to retrieve web
> pages, the browser window remains blank and shows the hourglass cursor when
> you move the cursor over it. I start it from xterm and no other error
> messages show in the terminal window. When closing the program there are no
> error messages.
>
> The text based browser Links works fine, I can retrieve web pages with it.
> So it would seem the connection is ok.
>
> I searched on the net for a solution and found this suggested solution (to
> the above error messages)
>
> ## Uncomment the next lines to workaround the "libjvm.so & libawt.so
> preloaded" error message
> #LD_PRELOAD="libjvm.so:libawt.so:${OPERA_LD_PRELOAD}"
> #export LD_PRELOAD
>
> However as far as I could tell, this had been done by the pkg already, I
> found this code in /usr/pkg/emul/linux/usr/bin/opera:
>
> #Workkarounds for the "preloaded libXt" problem.
> LD_PRELOAD="libjvm.so:libawt.so:${OPERA_LD_PRELOAD}"
> export LD_PRELOAD

I am running (occasionaly) Opera 9.10 on -current (also i386)
generally OK. It seems higher load on Opera renders my wpi0 wireless
inoperative (pun intended...) , but when I use ral0 it never fails (I
think it is some regression in wpi, as it happens with bittorrent as
well, but am not sure).

I don't think the error messages for the two libraries have anything
to do with your problem, as I have never bothered to get rid of them -
they don't cause trouble.

I do get way too many open files with it, so I have to use 'unlimit'
before starting it.

> I am not even sure that this has anything to do with the way the browser is
> behaving but I thought it might be relevant in some way .  At the least it
> would seem that if the workaround was doing it's job the error messages
> would not appear . Does anyone have a clue or suggestions?

Not really, although recently I lost all external connection
capability from Java programs (sun-jre15). This recently sorted itself
out without me doing anything (well, I think I upgraded the package,
but didn't check at the time if this was repaired). Both
Linix-compatibilty programs, so there may have been something.

I haven't ran any released version for quite some time, so I can't say
about 3.01.

> I am running 3.0.1 on port i386 .
>
> regards,
>
> Alasdair