Subject: Re: ports FLAVORS on pkgsrc (and postfix)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroniml@yahoo.com.br>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 01/25/2007 14:28:16
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:15:51 -0600 (CST)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 05:57:15PM +0000, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > are there any options on pkgsrc to what OpenBSD calls FLAVORS? If not,
> > > are there any plans to include it?
> > >
> > > I'm asking because of problems regarding Postfix support for SASL2. I
> > > compiled postfix-current, which do not have SASL2 support by default. It
> > > would be nice to have something like FLAVORS to do this job rather than
> > > modifying Makefile manually.
> >
> > You haven't had to edit the Makefile manually for as long as I can
> > remember.  In the old days you had to set specific variables in mk.conf,
> > but nowadays you have the whole options framework.
> >
> > Try "make show-options" someday...
>
> One significant difference is that OpenBSD allows packaging these
> different "flavors" with unique package names and sub packages (or multi
> packages). This makes it easier and quicker for end-users.

This was a critique I saw a long time ago about the number of packages of some systems such as Debian. I don't know how is it today, but I think it is the same, about having, in number, more packages than any other distribution, but with a lot of fragmentation, with lots of package of the same software.