Subject: Re: goffice/gnumeric on darwin/macosx
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Jussi Liukkonen <jussi.liukkonen@snorkkeli.homeip.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 01/12/2007 21:07:34
On 12.1.2007, at 20.51, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 03:07:57PM +0000, Jussi Liukkonen wrote:
>> Also I see gnumeric 1.7.6 available, while pkgsrc has 1.6.3... some
>> update potential there as well, maybe? There are a bunch of .xls
>> compatibiliy improvements in the 1.7 series.
>
> The reason is that GNOME is using the Linux versioning system, i.e.
> odd numbers are unstable releases. pkgsrc has the latest stable
> versions of these two packages (AFAIK). We usually avoid updating
> to unstable or development versions, except if there's a good reason.
>
> Now that doesn't necessarily say what we'll in this case...
> perhaps it's easy to patch out the fmin()s?

It is; there is only one instance in goffice(), gog-radar.c. A quick
#ifndef __APPLE__ around the static fmin() function did the trick for
me initially. Maybe someone can think of a better preprocessor check,
since fmin() in <math.h> is c99 and not actually specific to Apple.

I did not realize the unstable versioning, though. Perhaps it is
safer to stick with the stable branch, and just add the small goffice
patch so that Mac users can also enjoy gnumeric via pkgsrc. It is
fairly simple for the adventurous to build the unstable version by
hand, if needed.

I will file a PR shortly, with the fmin() patch as attachment.

Cheers!
- Jussi

--
"Unfortunately, as we learn from history, we don't learn from
history." - TJ