Subject: Re: mklivecd not working properly with -current?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 01/08/2007 19:52:39
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:49:24 -0500
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

> A few, though less critical.  I haven't tracked any of them down yet,
> though.  I also don't know if/when I will, since my build/test
> environment isn't very convenient.  Maybe if I start with a LiveXen
> kernel...
>
> First -- I couldn't boot a LiveCD based on a GENERIC kernel.  I
> changed the config line, but grub complained about the format.  It
> may be multiboot-related, but multiboot is default on -current, so
> I'm not sure.

Already fixed, but the menu.lst file is patched in the iso target.

> When I rebuild iso files, new entries are appended to the grub menu,
> even if they're identical.

I need to fix that one.

> I was unable to ssh in to such a system.  I'd enabled sshd and copied
> over the proper ssh keys and the like, but the logins hung.  ps
> showed that the livecd machine thought everything was fine, but I
> wasn't even seeing linefeeds when hitting CR on the client.

Hmm, I haven't used sshd in the livecd but it should work (I'll have a
look).

> What would be necessary to generalize this script to handle flash
> disks or CF cards?  A lot of the essential stuff is identical to what
> has to be done to, say, configure a CF-based Soekris.
> (/etc/rc.d/livecd should, in some form, be part of the base system.
> Of course, the amount of editing your script has to do shows why it
> isn't...)

Probably it could be extended to support these things too...

> Last -- I think the chroot target should create and
> edit /etc/rc.d/livecd before the shell prompt, not after -- changes
> made manually are destroyed.  This made it harder for me to figure out
> what was going on, since I'd insert 'sleep' statements to keep things
> from scrolling off, but to no effect...

True, I'll have a look soon (this weekend).

> Please don't take these as gripes -- it's still much easier to use
> than the tools I found the last time I built a livecd.

No problem, thanks for your comments.