Subject: gettext-lib does not build on IRIX
To: None <>
From: Klaus Heinz <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/30/2006 21:36:22

I just tried to build a package on IRIX 6 (mipspro compiler) and in order
to do that gettext-lib and -tools had to be rebuilt.

The 'configure' program for gettext-lib could not determine the correct
way to call the C++ prepocessor:

  checking for mips-sgi-irix6.5-g++... CC
  checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
  checking whether CC accepts -g... yes
  checking dependency style of CC... none
  checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... CC
  configure: error: C++ preprocessor "CC" fails sanity check
  See `config.log' for more details.

If I remove a line from mk/

  ALL_ENV+=              CXXCPP=${CPP:Q} # to make some Autoconf scripts happy

the 'configure' script decides to use "CC -E", which works.

Why is CPP set to 'CC' in the first place in share/mk/ for IRIX?
As far as I know the '-E' switch is needed for cc and CC to call the

How did this kind of failure survive the bulk builds on IRIX since May,
when the line was added to