Subject: Re: keep support for gcc 2.95 in NetBSD 1.6.x?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/22/2006 15:38:34
On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 12:20:00AM +0100, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> are we supposed to keep existing patches for compatibility with gcc 2.95?

As other platforms lack C99 compilers, it would be appreciated.
It is not a hard requirement, e.g. if the patches don't apply cleanly
anymore and it is not easy to determine wether or not they are still
needed, I feel that removing them is acceptable.

About submitting them upstream, I guess it depends a lot on the
language. For C++ I wouldn't bother and I wouldn't even bother fixing
the source code -- it is just plainly too ancient. For C programs which
don't have a dependency on half of the rest of the tree, it would be
preferable to keep them C89.

Joerg