Subject: Re: Some Problems with pkgsrc on Slackintosh
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dirk Arlt <dirkarlt@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/10/2006 00:03:24
* "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> schrieb:

> > 1)
> > I want to boot directly into X using XDM. That does not work. I get
> > some messages "Starting X session manager" followed by a message like
> > "Starting to fast - pause for 5 minutes". Using KDM works just fine,
> > but I would prefer XDM for some reasons. /var/log/xdm.log is empty.
>
> Probably xdm config not done. Maybe modify your
> /usr/pkg/etc/xorg/xdm/Xservers with something like:
>
> :0      local   /usr/pkg/xorg/bin/X

Thanks, that helped starting XDM, but now I have another problem
concerning XDM.

For example using Ion, the Hotkeys for starting up programs (xterm and
any other) do not work. I have to use full path for every program (I
have to use the full path to my WM in .xsession too).

In a started xterm I can start any other program just by its name.

Google told me that it could be necessary to give the Paths to XDM
in /etc/rc.d/xdm but i do not have that file (or something like that).

> > (BTW: KDM does not take changes I do in kcontrol)

Even though I do not want to use KDM I am curious about that too.

> > 2)
> > I want to use Samba with Konqueror and installed kdebase3 with support
> > for Samba. Starting Samba via "/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/samba start" i get the
> > message that /etc/rc.subr does not exists. So I installed the
> > Samba-package shipped with Slackintosh and Samba works with Konqueror,
> > but i'd prefer to use Samba from pkgsrc.
>
> /etc/rc.subr is available at pkgsrc/pkgtools/rc.subr. Maybe sure it is
> installed to /etc/rc.subr or adjust your rc.d scripts to use the path to
> your installed rc.subr.

Thanks again. Now it works with pkgsrcs samba.

I am starting samba as mentioned above on boot (put the line
into /etc/rc.d/rc.local) and i get these two lines on startup:

/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/nmbd: WARNING: $nmbd is not set properly - see rc.conf
(5).
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/smbd: WARNING: $smbd is not set properly - see rc.conf
(5).

I think i should look into manpage for rc.conf but there seems to be
none.

> By the way, just because the rc.d script doesn't work doesn't mean you
> need to use a different package -- as you can always start it manually
> with smbd, nmbd, etc.

I want samba to start up on boot, thats why I used the commands I wanted
to put to rc.local.