Subject: Re: Severe performance issues with pkgsrc-2006Q3?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/06/2006 19:02:04
Am 06.12.2006 um 17:54 Uhr +0100 schrieb Christian Biere:
>I'd use ktruss instead of ktrace but anyway just grep for errors. It possible
>that you've configured to store that stuff elsewhere like /usr/pkg/var or
>whatever.
>
>>  /var/cache/fontconfig is root:wheel, 755, and remains empty after a
>>  fc-cache run.
>
>Well, I'd recommend using pkgsrc unprivileged instead of using the root
>account.

"using pkgsrc" as in "running fc-cache?" Or, what do you mean?

>  Anyway, is that with fc-cache emitting errors or after fixing
>that?

No fixing, since I didn't know what fc-cache was missing.

>>  I added an explicit <cachedir> entry to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf,
>
>Are you sure it's using that at all instead of, for example,
>/usr/pkg/etc/fonts/fonts.conf?

Bingo. The <cachedir> directive wasn't in there, either, but when I
added it, things started to change. /var/cache/fontconfig is
populated now, and UI response times seem back to normal.

>  Indeed I have that file and in this
>file there's the reference to /var/cache/fontconfig, it's not in
>/etc/fonts/fonts.conf which exists as well. I never edited any of
>those. It's XML, I'd remember that.

*g*

Well, there is

[hf@Hausruck] ~ > locate fc-cache
/usr/X11R6/bin/fc-cache
/usr/X11R6/man/cat1/fc-cache.0
/usr/X11R6/man/man1/fc-cache.1
/usr/pkg/bin/fc-cache
/usr/pkg/emul/linux/usr/bin/fc-cache
/usr/pkg/emul/linux/usr/share/man/man1/fc-cache.1
[hf@Hausruck] ~ >

and, correspondingly, /etc/fonts.conf and (here)
/etc/pkg/fontconfig/fonts.conf. Don't know which is called from
where, and when. The pkgsrc fc-cache misses a man page.

And, as Jörg suspected, my /etc/pkg/fontconfig/fonts.conf is outdated.

Looks like I'll be back on track soon.

Thanks, guys!

	hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
      Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281