Subject: Re: Severe performance issues with pkgsrc-2006Q3?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/05/2006 19:07:33
Christian Biere wrote:
> Hauke Fath wrote:
> > The machines offer KDE, Gnome, XFCE4 and your favourite window
> > manager as environment via gdm, but the problem seems to concern all
> > of them. As an example, when I log in to XFCE4, first opening of a
> > popup menu from xfce4-panel takes 15 sec on an AMD 700 MHz / 384 MB
> > RAM. During that time, system load is around 2, there are still > 100
> > MB RAM unused, there is disk activity, and xfce4-panel is busy
> > consuming cpu time. The next menu then appears instantaneously.
> > Similar under Gnome: A Gnome terminal takes around 15 sec to appear,
> > a KDE konsole 20 sec, and even an xterm needs 10 sec.
>
> Have you traced them? Font loading time is very likely the issue. My
> apps seemingly spent most and too much time at that step as well. Albeit
> it's not as horrible as in your examples.

Another issue might be NLS. I see loads of these in traces of any Gtk+ app:

__stat30("/usr/pkg/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20-properties.mo", 0xbfbfe390) Err#2 ENOENT

I wonder why the heck is "it" trying to translate from English to English
any why doesn't it give up if the file doesn't exist? As far as I can see
it's only linked against the native "intl" library, so it might be to
blame.

--
Christian