Subject: Re: pkgsrc on fedora seems to need /bin/(ba)sh replaced by /bin/(k)sh
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/01/2006 19:43:30
Christian Biere wrote:

> I suspect the uncalled for comment of a by-stander kind of provoked this
> comment. Let me tell you, nvi from pkgsrc does not compile here on NetBSD
> with GCC 4.1.2 at all.

my bad. I assumed it did. after all, the lvalue casts are all in one
file, dist/common/mem.h from what I can see. The gentoo fix looks
applicable, thats what I intend submitting as a patches/ file.

 > GCC created a mess by introducing the idiotic
> concept of lvalue casts. They are just cleaning up their own mess. Don't
> call them fascists, neither as a joke nor seriously.

oh dear. did I provoke a descent into godwins law? again, my bad. lets
not go there.

 > Most of these lvalue
> casts are actually caused by accident in macros. I don't think anyone who
> knows what he's doing ever used lvalue casts. Also GCC has emitted warnings
> for such code for about one or two years.

um. Well, its in the 1.8x rev (since Keith Bostic) so I guess the other
auther must be responsible. I wouldn't go casting assertions on Mr
Bostic's coding skills...

-G