Subject: Re: pkgsrc on fedora seems to need /bin/(ba)sh replaced by /bin/(k)sh
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/01/2006 09:58:53
George Michaelson wrote:
> I've since found that the gcc version is 4.1.1, and there are lvalue
> cast related problems which are well understood, and indeed fixed on
> some code, I may have a patch from gentoo which addresses this for nvi
> I'd like to submit into pkgsrc. Interestingly, the NetBSD gcc doesn't
> trip over this problem, I guess people realized that ANSI C fascism had
> a downside and provided some way out of the problem

I suspect the uncalled for comment of a by-stander kind of provoked this
comment. Let me tell you, nvi from pkgsrc does not compile here on NetBSD
with GCC 4.1.2 at all. GCC created a mess by introducing the idiotic
concept of lvalue casts. They are just cleaning up their own mess. Don't
call them fascists, neither as a joke nor seriously. Most of these lvalue
casts are actually caused by accident in macros. I don't think anyone who
knows what he's doing ever used lvalue casts. Also GCC has emitted warnings
for such code for about one or two years.

--
Christian