Subject: Re: pkgsrc on fedora seems to need /bin/(ba)sh replaced by /bin/(k)sh
To: George Michaelson <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 11/30/2006 21:46:14
On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, George Michaelson wrote:

> its also dying on sort +2n instances.
> sort (GNU coreutils) 5.97
> This is free software.  You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License <>.
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

I'd guess other packages will have problems too. This is common (at least
to me). But I see coreutils 4.5.3 sort info page says:

     On older systems, `sort' supports an obsolete origin-zero syntax
     `+POS1 [-POS2]' for specifying sort keys.  POSIX 1003.1-2001 (*note
     Standards conformance::) does not allow this; use `-k' instead.

Have a look at
Maybe some environment variable will work for you?

Or we could go through a fix this in

and elsewhere (assuming that our other Unix platforms support the other
sort syntax).