Subject: Re: Gnome debugging
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 11/16/2006 22:54:21
Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> Don't many of the GNOME packages have a debug option?

Yes, "--enable-debug=yes".

> You could
> specify it on a per-package basis, or perhaps just specify it in
> PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS while building GNOME.

You'd have to add it like this:

CONFIGURE_ARGS += --enable-debug=yes

PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS is only for the option.mk framework. You
can't use it for arbitrary switches.

> I have never used it, but I presume it will do things like not omit the frame
> pointer and produce "intact" binaries with symbol tables, etc.

No, nothing like that. It just enables some runtime consistency checks etc. It
has nothing to do with compiler flags. For debugging with GCC, you should
always compile with -g3 -O0 in your CFLAGS. I would not recommend using this
regularly because it causes a significant performance penalty especially if
you compile a library with this.

--
Christian