Subject: Asian language support in X11 / KDE / Gnome etc.?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 11/15/2006 13:37:26
Hi,

I've been given the "interesting" task of supporting a Chinese user
who wants to read and write Chinese on a NetBSD machine set up with
pkgsrc meta/kde3 and meta/gnome. Rather, he'd like a Windows machine,
but that's not "on".

Now, I can select a Chinese language option in gdm, and I can add
x11/kde3-i18n-zh_CN, but all that apparently does not come with
fonts, i.e. I get squares with four numbers (gdm) of empty squares
(KDE) in place of characters.

Adding font packages that have "Chinese" in their description at
random gives me something like

[hf@Gallin] ~ # pkg_add /misc/pkg-new/fonts/alee-ttf-7.3.tgz
Updating font databases in the following directories:

         /usr/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF (ttf)
[1]   Segmentation fault (core dumped) ${update_cmd} ${...
         /usr/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF (x11)

[hf@Gallin] ~ # ls /usr/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/*.core
/usr/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/ttmkfdir.core
[hf@Gallin] ~ #

(binary package from pkgsrc-2006Q3 branch), and still empty squares.

Any pointers to helpful documentation? Hints on how this is supposed to work?

	hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
      Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281