Subject: Re: C compiler flags
To: Ricardo Cervera Navarro <ricardodirecto@gmail.com>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 11/13/2006 18:48:58
On 11/13/06, Ricardo Cervera Navarro <ricardodirecto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am using:
>
> CFLAGS+=-O2 -march=athlon

I do not think that it makes much of a difference in your case, but I
could be wrong, of course.
Perhaps simply wait until the inevitable package upgrade(s), then
recompile with those flags?

I recommend leaving out -O2; this is something that should be set on a
per-package basis.  Also, look into devel/cpuflags; I think this would
suit you better than manually specifying it.  If you desire further
optimization, you can always

.sinclude "/usr/pkg/share/mk/optimize_gcc.mk"

after installing cpuflags.  Personally, I spend enough time fixing
broken things that I don't wish to contend with ``bleeding-edge'' gcc
optimizations as yet another cause of untoward program behavior.

Cheers,

--Blair
--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!

<http://www.wfmu.org/>
91.1 FM Jersey City, NJ
90.1 FM Mt. Hope, NY

"The Reggae Schoolroom":