Subject: Re: pkgsrc math/gap and pkgtools/bootstrap-mk-files
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 11/05/2006 21:48:01
--LpQ9ahxlCli8rRTG

Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net> wrote:
> Can someone on the list with bootstrap kit knowledge and a Darwin setup l=
ook
> at this please to see if this is a general error?

I believe it is.  Darwin and Interix are the only platforms that set CC
to include a flag to the compiler.  I believe that this is not a wise
idea, as I could see other packages also relying on the CC variable to
set an executable string variable or some such.

Now I understand that the point of including the "-pipe" in the
definition for CC is to make sure that it is in fact used for every
single invocation of the compiler, but maybe that needs to be done via a
wrapper.

That is, if a platform needs to call the compiler with specific flags
(that we can not rely on being used by a package), then we could create
a custom wrapper that includes the flag.  Or we could fix all the
packages that do not use CFLAGS to do so (much more painful, but
probably the Right Thing).

Thoughts?

-Jan

--=20
If you are undertaking anything substantial, C is the only reasonable choice
of programming language.
	-- UNIX User's Supplementary Documents

--LpQ9ahxlCli8rRTG

--LpQ9ahxlCli8rRTG--