Subject: Re: pkgsrc math/gap and pkgtools/bootstrap-mk-files
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 11/05/2006 21:48:01

Chris Pinnock <> wrote:
> Can someone on the list with bootstrap kit knowledge and a Darwin setup l=
> at this please to see if this is a general error?

I believe it is.  Darwin and Interix are the only platforms that set CC
to include a flag to the compiler.  I believe that this is not a wise
idea, as I could see other packages also relying on the CC variable to
set an executable string variable or some such.

Now I understand that the point of including the "-pipe" in the
definition for CC is to make sure that it is in fact used for every
single invocation of the compiler, but maybe that needs to be done via a

That is, if a platform needs to call the compiler with specific flags
(that we can not rely on being used by a package), then we could create
a custom wrapper that includes the flag.  Or we could fix all the
packages that do not use CFLAGS to do so (much more painful, but
probably the Right Thing).

If you are undertaking anything substantial, C is the only reasonable choice
of programming language.
	-- UNIX User's Supplementary Documents

Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (NetBSD)