Subject: RE: can't compile anymore / Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
To: 'Roland Illig' <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas Feddersen <Thomas.Feddersen@t-online.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 10/27/2006 19:30:24
Roland
Thanks for your assistance! Can I pay you a fee or make a donation?

Got it. Just for my education: what lets you know, that "buildlink_dir" =
is
the problem, not any other part of the remainder of the line?

<snip>

Okay

> The next question is: Why is that variable empty?
>=20
> "make help topic=3DX11BASE" does not return anything useful in=20
> this case. "grep -wrl X11BASE $pkgsrcdir/doc/guide" returns=20
> some matches, so let's=20
> look them up.

How am I supposed to read XML-Documents?=20

<snip>

> bsd.prefs.mk contains some=20
> default values for variables that are _not_ user-settable. The=20
> definition depends on the X11_TYPE variable. Please run "make=20
> show-vars=20
> VARNAMES=3D'X11_TYPE X11_BASE'" to show the values of these variables.

Here you are:
Bremen: {11} make show-vars VARNAMES=3D'X11_TYPE X11_BASE'
XFree86

Bremen: {12}

As a matter of fact, variable X11_BASE is empty or undefined.

I worked around the problem with=20
Bremen: {43} setenv X11_BASE X11R6
Bremen: {44} env
USER=3Dfed
<snip>
SU_FROM=3Dfed
X11BASE=3DX11R6

Then the package compiled and installed okay.

But I certainly would like to know, how to set / restore the missing
variable.

I recall, last thing I tried before this problem, I wanted to use =
xdiskusage
(http://xdiskusage.sourceforge.net/) but had to install the fltk-library
(http://www.fltk.org/) first. That install failed, because my XF86-files
were out of date and I don't know how to update - XF86 is a set, not a
package. Maybe the variable X11_BASE got lost / deleted during that
disrupted installation.

Regards
Thomas