Subject: Re: fontconfig-2.4.1 is seriously broken
To: Raymond Meyer <raymond.meyer@rambler.ru>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn+nbsd@nygren.pp.se>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 10/15/2006 14:24:00
Raymond Meyer wrote:
> On Solaris after fontconfig is built, fc-cache is run, it enters endless loop
> consuming all available memory. I think this is absolutely ridiculous, how do
> people manage to write such shabby code??
>
> Has anyone noticed this?

Not that particular issue, but I have noticed it's very broken since 2.4.0.
This is what happens on HP-UX for example(homebrew pkgsrc port):

$ fc-cache -v /u/tnn/.fonts
/u/tnn/.fonts: caching, 78 fonts, 0 dirs
/u/tnn/.fonts: failed to write cache
fc-cache: failed

2.3.x did not have that problem. Looks like they've replaced some
file i/o code with mmap(), that might be the source of it all.
I believe the pkgsrc bulk builds have had recent problems with
fc-cache too.

It should be safe to downgrade to 2.3.x until they sort out the
portability issues.

in fonts/fontconfig:
$ cvs update -dPD 20060910
And later