Subject: Re: 3ware's tw_cli management tool for twa(4) now runs on NetBSD
To: None <>
From: Christos Zoulas <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/27/2006 18:49:48
In article <>,
George Georgalis <> wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 03:58:09AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>>In article <>,
>>>Any experience with HPC systems?  I'm looking at the
>>>1U AMD Quad Opteron or their blades.
>>The new supermicro 1U systems are really good. The motherboard is
>>designed for a 1U system, unlike the tyan (airflow is a lot better
>>and you don't get bogus pci slots you cannot use). Still ECC memory
>>issues (as with all opterons with a lot of memory), but DDR2 is
>>around the corner and we can all cross our fingers. I have not tried
>>NetBSD on them so YMMV.
>The AS1041M-82 and AS1041M-T2 do look interesting,
>but I had just heard newer supermicros (not sure
>which) where failing (under warranty) at a pretty
>high rate, so I kinda stopped considering them.

In my experience 1-2 out of 10 boxes that we buy (those being either
supermicro or tyan based) used to be DOA. Since then we have given
the vendors our own burn-in-test and we require them to run it for
3 days before shipping boxes to us.

What can I say: they just don't make them as they used to :-)