Subject: Re: mplayer & qt?
To: Rhialto <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/18/2006 18:42:55
On 9/18/06, Rhialto <> wrote:
> On Sat 16 Sep 2006 at 22:51:13 +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> > cd multimedia/mplayer && make PKG_OPTIONS.mplayer=-arts
> I have that "-arts" in my global option (in /etc/mk.conf):
> and I would argue that it should be turned off by default, since it is
> far too heavy-weight.

But in that case you are providing a default binary package that will
not work nicely on a KDE desktop.  And while building qt3 and arts is
a time consuming process, it doesn't matter much to binary-only users
(the ones who benefit from having this option enabled by default).

Yes, mplayer sucks in this regard (building-everything-in-a-single-binary).

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The Julipedia -