Subject: Re: pkgsrc download / individual strategies?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Morgan Reed <morgan.s.reed@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/03/2006 00:11:28
On 02 Sep 2006 12:31:24 GMT, Jamie <nospam@geniegate.com> wrote:
> Thanks, but, that isn't quite what I meant. (maybe this is more of
> a CVS question?) How would I download and maintain the updates
> and patches JUST for a few things? I realize it fetches the sources (a
> very nice feature) but it also seems to require the entire CVS
> tree for all the instructions on how to build the other stuff.
> Granted, I planned on building perl anyway, it's just that I wanted
> to do that interactively. It sort of took me by surprise.

It is possible to checkout parts of the pkgsrc tree individually
however there are some complications, for instance if you only want
shells/bash you can check it out from the tree, but you will find that
you also have to checkout the infrastructure i.e. pkgsrc/mk and you
will also require all the dependancies from the tree, e.g. complete
sequence to checkout a functional pkgsrc tree with only bash in it
you'd need the following;
cvs checkout -P pkgsrc/mk
cvs checkout -P pkgsrc/shells/bash
cvs checkout -P pkgsrc/devel/gettext-lib

Whilst this example is relatively simple if you start looking at more
complex packages with multiple layers of dependancies this starts to
get much more convoluted.

Fortunately if you were to construct a partial tree like this updating
isn't too much of a headache as if you issue a 'cvs update' in the
pkgsrc dir it will only update those parts of the tree which you
manually retrieved previously.

If you are concerned about the size of the pkgsrc tree because you're
building small-footprint systems it would be worth your while to set
up an nfs server on a "host" system and mount the tree from there to
the "guest" system (I use this approach for building semi-embedded
systems)

With regards to your mc build, if you issue a 'bmake show-depends' in
the package directory that will show you a list of dependancies, then
you can check the dependancies of those packages and work down the
tree, I'm not aware of any way to dump a list of ALL the dependancies
of a package (i.e. dependancies and their dependancies and so on).

Also with regards to perl, that is one of the first things I will
build on any system as many packages (and other software outside the
pkgsrc tree) require perl for the configure/build process.