Subject: Length of usernames created by pkgsrc
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Wouter Schoot <wouter@schoot.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/01/2006 01:26:45
Hi all,

Every night, I receive cronb jobs with information about that particular
box. There's a section for usernames with a certain length in there as
well. By default, according to the security configuration file, it
starts to complain with usernames over 8 chars:

[ascent@ascent /home/ascent]$ grep ^max /etc/defaults/security.conf
max_loginlen=8
max_grouplen=8

However, browsing through pkgsrc, two pkg's create usernames longer than
8 chars:

[ascent@ascent /home/ascent]$ grep USER /usr/pkgsrc/net/lambdamoo/Makefile
LAMBDAMOO_USER?=        lambdamoo

[ascent@ascent /home/ascent]$ grep USER /usr/pkgsrc/www/tinyproxy/Makefile
TINYPROXY_USER?=        tinyproxy

Shouldn't pkgsrc obey NetBSD's defaults ?
What your opinion on this ?
Sure setting the 8 to 9 would solve the problem, I'm just trying to find
out if changing these usernames to less than 8 chars wouldn't be better,
or else by default, raise the 8 to a higher number ?

Wouter

--
Er was eens een boer. Hij had 3 koeien, 2 witte en 1 witte.
Maar dat gaf niet, want de koe gaf ook niet.  De boer vond een