Subject: Re: pkgsrc policies
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 08/05/2006 23:37:37
On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 05:44:49 +0000, Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 12:42:59AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >
> > Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org> writes:
> > >
> > > Hmm, we have an (unwritten?) policy for pkgsrc to only patch one file
> > > per patch file.
> >
> > He merged multiple patches for a single file to a single patch. How
> > does this violate the stated policy?
>
> Oh, I misread that. But:
>
> $ pkglint
> WARN: patches/patch-ai: Contains patches for 2 files, should be only one.

That's certainly a bug.  Here's what pkgsrc.txt says (Section 9.3):

   Furthermore, do not put changes for more than one file
   into a single patch file, as this will make future modifications more
   difficult.

   Similar, a file should be patched at most once, not several times by
   several different patches. If a file needs several patches, they should
   be combined into one file.