Subject: Re: sysutils/amanda upgrade planned?
To: Torsten Harenberg <harenberg@physik.uni-wuppertal.de>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 07/18/2006 08:05:24
--=-=-=

Torsten Harenberg <harenberg@physik.uni-wuppertal.de> writes:

> sorry if this is the wrong list to ask (don't want to annoy anybody).

The correct list is pkgsrc-users, not tech-pkg.  I've followed up there.

> I would like to take advantage of some of the new features of
> amanda-2.5.0 . It's not yet in pkgsrc (this is still 2.4.4p4). Are
> there any plans to upgrade so it's worth waiting? Or should I try to
> compile and run the newer version mayself and report on
> success/problems? I would try on an alpha.

I would suggest compiling it yourself for now.
I use the following script with 2.4.4 (that I have in CVS because for
a while the kerberos support was broken).

#!/bin/sh

INSTALL_PREFIX=3D"/usr/amanda"
AMANDA_USER=3D"amanda"
AMANDA_GROUP=3D"operator"

COMMON_OPTIONS=3D"\
=2D-prefix=3D$INSTALL_PREFIX \
=2D-with-user=3D$AMANDA_USER \
=2D-with-group=3D$AMANDA_GROUP \
=2D-without-rundump \
=2D-with-fqdn \
=2D-with-amandahosts \
=2D-with-mmap \
=2D-with-dump-honor-nodump \
=2D-without-smbclient"

if test x`uname -s` =3D "xDarwin"
then COMMON_OPTIONS=3D"$COMMON_OPTIONS --with-gnutar=3D/usr/hfstar/bin/tar"
fi

KRB_LOCATION=3D"/usr"
KRB_KEYFILE=3D"/etc/srvtab.amanda"
KRB_PRINCIPAL=3D"amanda"
KRB_OPTIONS=3D"\
=2D-with-krb4-security=3D$KRB_LOCATION \
=2D-with-client-principal=3D$KRB_PRINCIPAL \
=2D-with-client-keyfile=3D$KRB_KEYFILE"

NO_SERVER_OPTIONS=3D"--without-server"

build_server=3D"no"
build_krb=3D"no"

for i
  do case $i in

    --server)
	build_server=3D"yes"
	;;

    build-nokrb)
	build_krb=3D"no"
	;;

    build-krb)
	build_krb=3D"yes"
	;;

    install)
	make install
	;;

    *)
	echo "Usage: IR.rules [--server] {build-nokrb|build-krb|install}"
	exit 1
	;;

  esac
done

configure_options=3D"$COMMON_OPTIONS"

if test x$build_server =3D "xno"; then
    configure_options=3D"$configure_options $NO_SERVER_OPTIONS"
fi

if test x$build_krb =3D "xyes"; then
    configure_options=3D"$configure_options $KRB_OPTIONS"
fi

# allow for CVSREAD=3Dt (although these files should not be in CVS
for f in aclocal.m4 configure; do
    if [ -f $f ]; then
	chmod u+w $f
    fi