Subject: subset machinery for bulk pkgsrc builds
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Cary G. Gray <Cary.G.Gray@wheaton.edu>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 07/12/2006 10:43:53
I'm still a bit confused about how to manage some of the bulk build
machinery to build only a subset of pkgsrc.  In particular, I'm unsure
about which variables to set--and where/how they should be set.  I've
read and reread several chapters of "The pkgsrc guide", and I've done a
modest amount of reading scripts.  For context, I've been invoking the
mk/bulk/build script from within a chroot created with pkg_comp (_not_
using the pkg_comp lists of packages to build).  I've been using the
stable pkgsrc branches (currently 2006Q2) on netbsd-3-0, architecture
i386.

The pkgsrc guide mentions setting SPECIFIC_PKGS=1 in /etc/mk.conf, in
which case the list of package directories is taken from several
additional variables {SITE,HOST,GROUP,USER}_SPECIFIC_PKGS.  But I can't
tell from the guide whether those variables have to be set in /etc/mk.conf
or in mk/bulk/build.conf.  I've just wandered back into
mk/defaults/mk.conf, which leads to me believe the former.

In mk/bulk/build.conf-example, there is a comment that says to set PKGLIST
to a list of directories in order to build a subset of packages.  That's
the mechanism I've been using, but I've observed that it does not do a
very good job with dependencies.  Is that mechanism deprecated?  Should a
comment be added there to that effect?

Specific questions:

1. Am I right to infer that setting PKGLIST is (should be) deprecated in
favor of the SPECIFIC_PKGS mechanism?

2. Is it possible to set SPECIFIC_PKGS and the *_SPECIFIC_PKGS from
mk/bulk/build.conf, or must those be in /etc/mk.conf?

Thanks,
 	Cary Gray
 	Cary.G.Gray@wheaton.edu