Subject: Re: What does the "WRKOBJDIR" variable do?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jun.sechs@onlinehome.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 06/03/2006 14:16:37
Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> Could someone explain this for me please? I know WRKDIR refers to the
> "work" subfolder inside the package directory, but what does WRKOBJDIR
> refer to? How is it related/ different to WRKDIR?

In the default case WRKDIR gets created, just as you said, directly
inside the package directory, eg pkgsrc/mail/spamassassin/work/.

If that is not possible or undesirable (pkgsrc tree shared read-only over
NFS is the most common case) a directory where you can create work
directories is needed, so just define

  WRKOBJDIR=/somewhere/else/pkgsrc-obj

in your /etc/mk.conf and the directory where the source is extracted and
other files can be created will be

  /somewhere/else/pkgsrc-obj/mail/spamassassin/work

If WRKOBJDIR is defined and your pkgsrc tree is writable you get a
symbolic link to the actual WRKDIR. If the tree is not writable, you
won't see even that inside the package directory.

ciao
     Klaus