Subject: Re: mailman group?
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 06/01/2006 11:08:43
On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> i'm trying to start a new mailman installation; wrt above discussion about
> wrapper scripts and GIDs i ran into the problem that, build with
>
> MAILMAN_USER?=          mailman
> MAILMAN_GROUP?=         mailman
> MAILMAN_MAILGROUP?=     postfix
>
> (default for postfix)
>
> maillog says:
>
> Jun  1 10:48:15 blackjack-a postfix/pipe[5179]: 7513C3506F9:
> to=<|/usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman@riscworks.net>,
> orig_to=<Mailman-request@riscworks.net>, relay=cyrus, delay=0, status=bounced
> (data format error. Command output: |/usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
> request mailman@riscworks.net: Bad protocol )
>
> i get following error, when running failing instruction manually:
>
> /usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman@riscworks.net
> Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
> wrapper script to be executed as group "postfix", but
> the system's mail server executed the mail script as
> group "wheel".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
> script as group "postfix", or re-run configure,
> providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=wheel'.
>
> as it's no production system yet i tried building mailman with
> MAILMAN_MAILGROUP?=     wheel
> but then the above mentioned phenomenon turns 180 degrees, it wants to be run
> as mailman...
>
> any clues?

Not really.
After the recent sendmail removal I've migrated to postfix, and it seems
the proper MAILMAN_MAILGROUP there is 'nobody'. At least that works for
me. I use stock NetBSD postfix plus mailman, I see that you have 'cyrus'
in there, which I don't use. I've also never seen the "Bad procol" thing.

  - Hubert