Subject: Re: Getting the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/29/2006 14:33:36
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 04:19:16PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> >> # cvs checkout -rpkgsrc-2006Q1 pkgsrc"
> >>
> >> This isn't entirely true, is it? I mean, *latest sources* would mean
> >> "# cvs checkout pkgsrc" right? Not 2006-Q1 but -current itself ... ?
> >
> >The above command gives you the latest source on the pkgsrc-2006Q1 branch.
> >It's not "older" than -current, it's just a different branch in CVS, which
> >happens to be more conservative in updates. :-)
>
> Ok, now that got me confused. :) (And just when I thought I am done
> with my questions hehe!). I really did think that the 2006-Q1 branch
> is older than -current. My impression was that its a stable freeze of
> -current, made sometime in March 2006, and after that all it has is
> just security updates. So that way -current has nearly 2 months worth
> of newer software than 2006-Q1. Turns out I was wrong? (By "stable
> freeze" above, I meant that all the software in that are stable and
> work well with each other etc).
>
> I remember someone pointing out that 2006Q1 is a different branch (I
> think he used the word "revision") ... but I didn't pay much attention
> coz I thought he meant it was a different "older" branch ...

cvs co -rpkgsrc-2006Q1 pkgsrc gives you an up-to-date *revision* of the
pkgsrc-2006Q1 *branch*.  This branch has been created a while ago, but the
above mentioned command gives you the latest version of that branch.  The
fact that this branch contains older versions of most packages contained in
it, is a property of pkgsrc and not of CVS.

	Geert