Subject: Re: (GNOME) Totem and "Mutlimedia Systems Selector" issues
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/27/2006 14:00:16
> > Can't the "xvidcore" package be used instead? I think xvid and divx are
> > supposed to be compatible (or am I mistaken?) and I did report some
> > patches to make sure it would (again) compile on non-i386 machines.
>
> Hmm, are you sure?  I always thought xvid and divx were different
> codecs, although very similar ones.  If xvidcore is indeed
> divx-compatible... that'd be great.

I dont know if the two are compatible. I do know that they have a
common lineage. Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry for Xvid
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XviD):

"XviD is a primary competitor of DivX (XviD spelled backwards). While
DivX is closed source and may only run on Windows, Mac OS and Linux,
XviD is open source and can potentially run on any platform."

"... Soon after, DARC released a beta version of their closed-source
commercial DivX 4 codec, which was based on encore2, saying that "what
the community really wants is a Winamp, not a Linux". Many accused
DivXNetworks of starting OpenDivX for the sole purpose of harvesting
other people's ideas to use in their DivX 4 codec, some were
disappointed that the codec had stagnated and wanted to continue
working on it, while others were angry at the way DivXNetworks handled
a so-called open source project. It was after this that a fork of
OpenDivX was created, using the latest version of encore2 that was
downloaded before it was removed. Since, all the openDivX code has
been replaced and XviD has been published under the GPL license."

Doesn't say if its compatible with DivX or not.

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--=20
=09NetBSD/i386 3.0 | Toshiba Satellite L10-102
=09http://search.gmane.org/?query=3D&group=3Dgmane.os.netbsd.* (archives)
=09http://man.netbsd.org/ (manpages)