Subject: Re: (GNOME) Totem and "Mutlimedia Systems Selector" issues
To: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/27/2006 07:28:35
On 5/27/06, Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl> wrote:
> On Fri 26 May 2006 at 22:21:06 +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the lack of some libraries makes it impossible to build
> > some plugins.  For example, the DivX codec is shipped in binary form
> > for Linux but not for NetBSD, which means that you cannot use the DivX
> > gstreamer plugin under this OS.  Xine can open these files because it
> > uses a compatibility layer to use these (win32?) plugins, as mplayer
> > does.

Oh, I didn't know that. So xine is the super dooper player that can
open all these formats without much of a hassle eh? Cool. :) Quite
interesting too, you know. Some 5 years ago when I first got into the
Linux world at college (our labs were all Linux based), xine was the
player we all used back then. When I started using NetBSD now, I thot
xine might have been pushed to the background (I didnt like its
interface much, frankly) and that other players might have taken its
place. But after a few days of use I see that xine still is the
reigning chap. Atleast that's the only player (between xine, vlc, and
totem) that worked well and got me watching a movie. :)

Possibly a dumb question -- but what is the difference between plain
totem and totem-xine? I know vaguely that its something to do with
totem using gstreamer plugins, while totem-xine not using them. So
what does totem-xine use then? Does it invoke xine to do all its work
-- and so totem-xine is just a xine player in the backend with a totem
frontend? Hmm?

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--=20
=09NetBSD/i386 3.0 | Toshiba Satellite L10-102
=09http://man.netbsd.org/ (manpages)
=09http://news.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.general (archives)
=09http://news.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.devel.pkgsrc.user (archives)