Subject: Re: Getting the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/25/2006 09:46:44
On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 06:25:34PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
>> If you have new boxes running the latest stuff that you want the
>> latest version of pkgsrc, you could keep it in /usr/pkgsrc-current
>> and if you have a couple of older boxes that are stable and shouldn't
>> really be touched (other than getting stuff out of pkgsrc), you
>> could keep that in /usr/pkgsrc-2005Q3 (should that be the branch
>> you checked out).  You could keep them on a central file-server and
>> shared out via NFS, etc.
>
> Thanks Michael. So basically I can have multiple copies of the pkgsrc
> tree (under /usr/pkgsrc, /usr/pkgsrc-2005Q3, and so on) all got thru
> CVS. How important is the pkgsrc pathname btw? Can I have my pkgsrc
> at some other location like say /mnt/free/pkgsrc (/mnt/free being a
> partition I have with lots of free space) and things will still work
> fine right?

/usr/pkgsrc is just the convention most of us use to keep things
consistant.  You could put it anywhere you've got space.  If you wanted
to keep the /usr/pkgsrc name 'functional' you could use symbolic links
to keep things straight.  Even though I own this box and no one else
will run it, I tend to try and keep it clean in such a way as though it
might wind up under someone else some day and they're gonna need to know
how to run it with the minimal amount of hassle.  Same way I run my work
systems.  If I put something in a non-standard place, I try and remember
to put a symlink in the 'correct' place pointing to the alternate
location.

When updating each tree, you'll have to keep the versions straight when
you update them, else you'll wind up with multiple identical trees:

for pkgsrc-current:
(/usr/pkgsrc/current)# cvs up -dp

for a specific version:

(/usr/pkgsrc-2005Q3)# cvs up -dp -rpkgsrc-2005Q3

<snip>

> Great! I see that I already have these files. I used to wonder what
> they are about. Now I know. Thanks. :)

Glad to be of help.

--
Michael Parson