Subject: Re: pkg_chk: updating installed packages w/ FTP?
To: Justin C. Sherrill <justin@shiningsilence.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/03/2006 02:01:38
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
>> miyu% pkg_chk -P ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/3.0/i386 -abg
>>  	Failed to open file.
>
> For reasons unclear to me, pkg_chk wants to have a Makefile in the current
> directory when it runs these commands.  The Makefile can be empty.  'touch
> Makefile' and then run the commands, and see if it works.

No go.

I've tried an 'empty' Makefile in /tmp, and I've also tried it in a
(populated) /usr/pkgsrc, and I always get an error (which may be different
to the above one as I've upgraded to pkg_chk-1.69.1 recently):

 	miyu% cd /tmp/
 	miyu% touch Makefile
 	miyu% pkg_chk -P ftp://ftp.de.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/3.0/All -C /root/pkgchk.conf -v -abf
 	Extract AWK GREP SED TSORT SORT PACKAGES PKG_INFO PKG_ADD PKG_DELETE
 	PKGCHK_CONF PKGCHK_UPDATE_CONF PKGCHK_TAGS PKGCHK_NOTAGS from Makefile
===>	Failed to change directory.
 	miyu% cd /usr/pkgsrc/
 	miyu% pkg_chk -P ftp://ftp.de.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/3.0/All -C /root/pkgchk.conf -v -abf
 	Extract AWK GREP SED TSORT SORT PACKAGES PKG_INFO PKG_ADD PKG_DELETE
 	PKGCHK_CONF PKGCHK_UPDATE_CONF PKGCHK_TAGS PKGCHK_NOTAGS from Makefile
===>	Failed to change directory.

It would be nice to have -v do something useful and show _what_ directory
change failed...

Is there some file required on the FTP server that's maybe not generated?
ISTR some talk about some 'index' file...

> The man page doesn't mention -q.  What is it?

pkg_chk-1.69.1's manpage says:

      -q        Do not display actions or take any action; only list informa-
                tion about package version differences.  Useful for options
                that list information about package differences, such as -a or
                -u.

  - Hubert