Subject: Re: pkg_chk: updating installed packages w/ FTP?
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Justin C. Sherrill <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/29/2006 22:02:52
On Sat, April 29, 2006 12:36 pm, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

>>> pkg_chk -P ftp://binary/url -abg (generate pkg_chk.conf if nonexistent)
>>> pkg_chk -P ftp://binary/url -abf (fetch all needed packages)
>>> pkg_chk -P //wherever/previous/step/put/binaries -abu (upgrade)

I was the person who had come up with that combination.  I tested it on a
spare system I had here, running DragonFly 1.4.x.  I skipped the middle
step, running:

pkg_chk -P
pkg_chk -P

I wasn't worried about taking the extra download time, so I didn't bother
downloading locally with that second step.  It worked.

> Already the first command fails for me, and it's not clear to me what
> EXACTLY I have to to give to -P - I know that pkg_add is picky with
> PKG_PATH, so I've tried what came to my mind, with little success:
> miyu% pkg_chk -P -abg
>  	Failed to open file.

For reasons unclear to me, pkg_chk wants to have a Makefile in the current
directory when it runs these commands.  The Makefile can be empty.  'touch
Makefile' and then run the commands, and see if it works.

> Also, I've noticed that the usage of pkg_chk is incomplete, at least -q is
> not mentioned.

The man page doesn't mention -q.  What is it?