Subject: Re: tools infinite loop
To: Cliff Wright <cliff@snipe444.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/27/2006 11:05:12
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Cliff Wright wrote:

> I was just building devel/patch from a pkgsrc tar of 4/24/06 on a Linux
> BusyBox based system. I ran in to a problem with the tools created in
> work/.tools/bin. For instance the echo program is using a non full path
> echo to send info to the .work.log. The path is set to have work/.tools/bin
> early to pick up the special echo in that directory, but since that tools
> echo also makes use of itself their is an infinite loop. Moving the directory in the path variable would not work as we want to use the tools in the tools directory. I could modify
> pkgsrc/mk/tools/tools.Linux.mk, but this has not changed for a while,
> so I wonder where else the problem could be?

I also hit that loop on DragonFly this month when I set
TOOLS_PLATFORM.tar=tar (without full path).

As for the "echo", I see that is a problem. And the bogus wrapper is
created. This problem exists on other platforms.

The reason nobody sees it is because their shell provides "echo" builtin.

Tell us about your BusyBox /bin/sh shell. Does it have echo builtin?

Maybe the pkgsrc tools framework should not create a wrapper unless the
tool has a full path.

Do you also have the problem for [, false, test and true?

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'