Subject: pkgsrc-stable branch stories?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/17/2006 11:18:14
I'm curious as to how many people are using the pkgsrc "stable" branches
(pkgsrc-YYYYQQ).  The pkgsrc developers spend quite a bit of time
creating and maintaining these branches, and I want to get a feel for
whether this is time well-spent.

I personally use the stable branch on production servers.  I find it
avoids the chaos of keeping up with rapidly changing PKGREVISIONs that
happen on pkgsrc HEAD at times.  I keep a sandbox handy for rebuilding
packages when there is a security update on the stable branch, and I
update all of my software to the newest stable branch every quarter.

Is anyone else using the pkgsrc stable branch?  If so, how do you use it?

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>