Subject: Re: gettext-tools not building on Debian GNU/Linux powerpc
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Richard M Kreuter <kreuter@progn.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/14/2006 14:11:05
"Jeremy C. Reed" writes:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lintl
>
> I was not able yet to test this teh same. But I am now building
> gettext-runtime with two changes:
>
> I set PREFER.native+=gettext in my mk.conf and
> commented out USE_BUILTIN.gettext in the Makefile.
>
> But in your case with defaults, the USE_BUILTIN.gettext forces you to use
> the pkgsrc version and that forces the gettext-lib to be installed as far
> as I can understand this.
>
> Do you have gettext-lib installed? (I assume you do.)

Yes.  It provides libintl so's in /usr/pkg/lib.  I have no other libintl
files around.

Am I incorrect in thinking that the culprit is too aggressive munging of
commands in the toolchain wrappers?  If I'm reading the .work.log
correctly, the ultimate link command doesn't include -L/usr/pkg/lib.
(Several other packages fail to build with similar failures to link to
extant libraries on the same machine, as well.)

> Can you please send-pr this problem? (Submit to GNATS PR database.) And
> then hopefully someone can work on this.

I'll do this later today.

Thanks,
RmK