To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/06/2006 00:11:08
The use of RECOMMENDED and BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED has been confusing for a
long time. Even the documentation had conflicting details. (I need to
check to see if that is fixed :)

To help clarify its use some variable names have been changed:

RECOMMENDED is removed. It becomes ABI_DEPENDS. becomes becomes

BUILDLINK_DEPENDS does not change.

IGNORE_RECOMMENDED (which defaulted to "no") becomes USE_ABI_DEPENDS
which defaults to "yes". (The IGNORE_RECOMMENDED setting will be removed
next branch.)

I have been using it on some non-production systems since it was available
and it has been a great timesaver and works in most cases. Nevertheless:
do not use USE_ABI_DEPENDS unless you know what you are jumping into :)

Also as suggested, I removed the documentation sentences suggesting
bumping for "security" issues. Please consider to actively use

From our discussion on tech-pkg, I have made changes to over 1225 files
(and making changes to over 200 pkgsrc-wip files).

For details, see the pkgsrc guide (I will commit updated pkgsrc.txt
and pkgsrc.html soon).

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6E88>?;@69876tAEAC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-E' 'wu rofIn.lkigemcal'