Subject: Re: The pkgsrc-2006Q1 branch
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/01/2006 23:28:50
On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 20:41:04 -0500, Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:

>   I almost exclusively use "make replace" rather than "make update".
>   This is unsafe, but works often, and requires far fewer rebuilds.

I won't say "almost exclusively", but I very frequently do; I base my
choice on the change in version numbers.  For example, when
textproc/expat when from 1.x.y to 2.0.z, I recompiled the immediate
world -- that looked like it might be too large a change.  For foo x.y
going to foo x.ynbz, I'll always do the 'make replace'.

And yes, every now and then I use pkg_comp to rebuild the world.