Subject: Re: dptutil help
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David B. <incomex@hotmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 03/30/2006 01:24:19
I got the exact same error, in the exact same place.  I'm using command line
only, no
xwindows stuff.

I just don't understand why this is so hard.  Why isn't the code
stand-alone.  One file that you distribute for each app, containing any
dependencies, so that someone can just compile against one set of files? 20
years ago when I was writing in C and C++ that's how we did it.  You could
take the code, compile it on any platform available where that particular C
compiler was available, and it worked.

This is supposed to be a userland app with no dependencies, so why does it
need files like makedepend anyway?

This takes 3 hours to erase the old files, download new ones, bootstrap them
and then attempt to compile dptutil through the bmake utility.

Why isn't dptutil just a binary for sparc64, so I could just download that
and not have to go through this process at all?  No one in the world is
compiling any of this stuff on a sparc64 box?

Sorry I'm venting, but it's not a wonder why the masses won't go near the
better operating systems.  They would rather put up with Microsuck because
at least they don't have to extract files and compile them and hope it
works.  They have installers that do all of the complicated stuff for them.

Anyway to continue to solve the problem, now what?

to continue with the error stuff, maybe this will help.  After the first
Error code 1 where it fails because of makedepend it says:

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/dptutil/work/raidmgt-3.31/dpteng
*** Error code 1

my .work.log says:

/usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/dptutil/work/.tools/bin/true
<.> true

five times, and that's it.