Subject: Re: Removing pkgviews?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 03/26/2006 08:47:53
On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 11:26:35AM -0500, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> I hope this is not *too* controversial, but I am thinking of removing
> the existing pkgviews implementation in pkgsrc after the 2006Q1 branch.
>  The existing code is complicating development of some new
> infrastructure components that I'm pursuing.  I'd like to get a sense of
> the number of users that this might impact.

I'm interested in your new infrastructure, but would like to know a
bit more about why it's so invasive that pkgviews needs to go. I'd
also like to know what needs to be done to complete pkgviews.

My understanding is that you still need to "reference count"
directories (which can be manoeuvered around by adding a switch to
pkg_delete to ignore the return results from an rmdir(2), and which I
think would be a good addition anyway), and also the problems arising
from the mini-packages debate, which I think are greatly reduced by the
former change. Are there any more showstopeers?

Thanks,
Alistair