Subject: Re: libtool without pkgsrc on DragonFly and no RPATH (fwd)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 03/02/2006 08:48:49
* Jeremy C. Reed wrote on Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 08:28:42AM CET:

> I was using (I think) libtool-base-1.5.18nb4 on DragonFly to do some
> builds (not using pkgsrc) of the xorg HEAD. I saw that some libraries were
> built with the needed shared library runtime path included, but some were
> not.
>
> >From a quick look at the configure.ac and Makefile.am and build logs, I
> was not sure why. (So I decided to update libtool.)

Can you confirm that it worked at some time before (on DragonFly)?

> I updated to pkgsrc's libtool-base-1.5.22nb2. My next build on DragonFly
> was worse: none of the libraries had the needed RPATH's (and the build
> couldn't even complete because its installed tools would not run because
> couldn't find libraries).

That's the regression I meant (the parenthesized part).  I believe Joerg
has installed a workaround patch against libtool-1.5.22 in DragonFly for
that part.

> I am not sure how to track this down (as I only have little experience
> with looking inside of libtool family scripts.)
>
> I can provide complete build logs. Here is one example ...
>
> env PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/reed/xorg/lib/pkgconfig ./configure --prefix=/home/reed/xorg | & tee LOG.configure
>
> make | & tee LOG.make

Please rerun the link command
  /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc [...] -o libXfontcache.la [...]

from that log manually, with '--debug' added as first libtool option,
post all output (maybe packed).

Longer-term it would be very helpful if someone could help me out with
shell access to a NetBSD or DragonFly box, to do regression tests for
Libtool releases.

Cheers,
Ralf