Subject: Re: pkgsrc questions
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 02/28/2006 11:21:49
On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 08:22:34PM +0100, joerg@britannica.bec.de wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:52:26AM -0700, Bob Bagwill wrote:
> > 4. get a hint about how big a packages and all its dependencies will be?
>
> Does this really matter? First of all, this is highly platform
> dependent. It also changes all the time. If you want a rough estimate,
> check the binary packages.

Joerg is correct, although the amount of dependency on pre-requisite
packages can be determined from the package Makefile - the buildlink3
inclusions should give a hint here. For the package itself, the Size
entry in the distinfo should also give a hint.

In general, though, I kind of like the idea of MIPS values - the
Meaningless Indicator of Package Size, based on a value of 1 for
something basic like the digest package. It would be a simple
value, but also have a PIPS value, that of Pre-requisite Indicator
of Package Size, which would be a cumulative value of all pre-reqs.

But I'm straying into tech-pkg territory here, not pkgsrc-users.

Best,
Alistair